The mission of Charity Newsies is that no child shall be kept out of school for lack of adequate clothing.
It is more than clothing. It’s empowering.
Money donated to Charity Newsies goes directly to Central Ohio families in need.
- 100% of those funds, every single penny, goes towards the purchase of new clothing for children in need.
- In 2012-2013, $1.8 million was raised by Charity Newsies.
- In the 2012-2013 school year, Charity Newsies clothed more than 11,000 children.
- $140 will completely outfit a child with brand new clothing, including outerwear, undergarments, shirts, pants and shoes.
- Newsies volunteer their time by visiting each family who applies for clothing.
Charity Newsies has a long and distinguished history in Central Ohio.
- Charity Newsies was founded more than 100 years ago, all the way back in 1907.
- Every year on the second Saturday of December, 500 of the 700 Charity Newsies take to the streets selling a special edition of the newspaper for any amount people want to give.
- Newsies also collect contributions through the annual Kick-Off Auction and othe activities during the year.
- Since its inception, Charity Newsies has helped more than 500,000 children in Central Ohio.
- Charity Newsies also helps clothe children affected by tragedies such as houshold fires.
Giving new clothes to children creates immediate and long-term impact in our community.
- Lack of proper clothes is a top reason children miss school.
- Wearing new clothes that fit properly helps a child’s self-esteem.
- Higher self -esteem improves a child’s chances of succeeding at school.
Charity Newsies has simple elgibility guidelines.
- The child and guardian must live in Franklin County and be enrolled and attending school in Franklin County.
- Charity Newsies volunteers then visit the family at home.